We’re all ocean stewards!
We all need to work together to protect ocean ecosystems. They’re vital to the health of our planet—and us! No matter where you live, everything we put down our sinks, bathtubs and toilets, and on our lawns and gardens, ends up in the ocean. Your everyday actions can make a difference.
Make wise seafood choices!
What you put on your dinner plate makes a difference too. Overfishing is one of the biggest threats facing the ocean. Roughly 90 per cent of the world’s fish stocks are now fully fished or overfished.
Making informed choices about your seafood helps relieve the pressure on over-fished species. What’s sustainably fished and what’s not? Check out the master seafood guides prepared by Ocean Wise Seafood and Seafood Watch for sustainable seafood options. Both come with a cell phone app option so you can carry a guide with you!
Here are a few other things you can do in your daily lives to help the ocean:
- Keep beaches and oceans free of litter
- Dispose of hazardous waste properly
- Shop smart: buy recycled biodegradable products; buy local
- Avoid the use of pesticides and organic fertilizers
- Never release balloons into the environment
- Don’t leave fishing lines or hooks in the environment
- Support organic farming
- Get involved with a marine conservation organization
- Volunteer for a shoreline cleanup
- Help out at a fish hatchery
- Raise your voice: sign petitions; send letters or emails to your government representative
- Practice the 5Rs: Rethink, Refuse, Reduce, Reuse and Recycle!
Above all, be proactive. Don’t wait for someone else to fix the problem. You can make a difference!
Never release balloons!
One way to make a difference
To reduce our impact on the environment we need both corporate action (such as the Eagle Wing commitment to conservation, sustainability, research and education) and individual responsibility. By committing to the Go Green Pledge, you’ll be joining a growing movement of people who have decided to step up and take responsibility, one person at a time.
This pledge provides suggestions for small changes you can make in your daily life that make a BIG difference in the long-run. You may already practice some of these green initiatives but there’s always room for improvement! Your help is needed to protect our marine ecosystems.
Sign the Green Pledge
I pledge to ...
- Turn off lights when not needed
- Enable power management on my computer
- Wash my clothes in cold water
- Replace light fixtures with CFL or energy-efficient LED bulbs
- Plug my electronics into power strips
- Take stairs not elevators
- Use blinds and shades more effectively
- Defrost my freezer periodically
- Set my thermostat two degrees cooler or warmer
- Air-dry my clothes
- Only run a dishwasher or washing machine when full
Dispose of garbage responsibly
- Responsibly recycle my e-waste and other hazardous materials
- Make sure my car oil, antifreeze, pet waste and expired medications are properly disposed of
- Recycle everything I can
- Limit my use of paper towels
- Use my own thermos for hot drinks
- Switch to paper-free billing
- Remove myself from junk mail and catalogue lists
- Avoid printing and print double-sided when possible
- Avoid balloons, or make sure they make it to the garbage when I’m finished with them
- Cut plastic six-pack rings before throwing them away
- Avoid leaving used fishing line and hooks around for wildlife to get caught in
- Buy local when possible
- Take reusable bags when shopping
- Buy recycled, biodegradable products
- Support businesses that are members of 1% For the Planet
- Buy only sustainably certified seafood
- Never leave a tap running when not in use
- Report or repair leaking faucets
- Shorten showers when possible
- Drink tap water instead of bottled
- Carry a reusable water bottle
- Install low-flow shower heads and taps
- Ride my bike or walk to work when possible
- Use public transportation when possible
- Carpool when possible
- Use video conferencing rather than business trips when possible
- Combine my errands to reduce the need to travel
- Plan my next vacation or getaway to a destination that supports sustainability
- Stay at an accommodation that has a green policy and promotes it
- Eat at and help promote restaurants that support sustainability
- Book excursions and tours with companies that are truly promoting sustainability
- I will volunteer for a local cleanup
- I will keep my lawns and gardens pesticide free
- I will assist with monitoring a local watershed
- I will find a cause and support it