Eagle Wing Tours, the first whale watching company to give 1% For The Planet & supports:
- CWR (Center for Whale Research): orca research SRKW (southern resident killer whales/orca)
- Goldstream Hatchery: salmon enhancement (food for the orca)
- PSF (Pacific Salmon Foundation): stream rehabilitation (habitat for salmon – food for the orca)
- MERS: Marine Education & research Society. The Marine Education and Research Society (MERS) is a registered Canadian charity dedicated to promoting conservation and understanding of marine ecosystems through scientific research, environmental education, and marine wildlife response. We are based on northern Vancouver Island, British Columbia and incorporated in 2010.
- Robert Bateman Foundation: Challenge the public and society’s leaders to a new dialogue about our relationship with nature through strategic partnerships, research, collaboration and public education. Assume custodianship of the intellectual property, collections and archives of Robert Bateman and other artists of nature, in perpetuity; and, to use every means possible to make the artworks and stories available to the public for education and inspiration.
- SIMRES: Saturna Island Marine Research & Education Society. SIMRES is a volunteer, non-profit organization bringing marine research and educational programs to Saturna Island. We encourage science and stewardship for a deeper understanding of our fragile marine ecosystem.
- Shaw Ocean Discovery Center: student education about the Salish Sea. Local educational programs encourage students to go out on the water which opens their eyes to what’s in their backyard!
- Race Rocks Ecological Reserve: preservation of a Marine Protected Area
- Carbon Neutral: offset our annual corporate GHG emissions. We reduce what we can and offset what we cannot.
- 1% for the Planet: a financial commitment to donate a minimum of 1% of all sales into environmental organizations. We are taking a lead role in being environmental stewards in our community and we embrace the notion that the sustainability of the natural environment is fundamental to the sustainability of business.
- Sea Shepherd Conservation Society: support their mission to end the destruction of habitat and unnecessary slaughter of wildlife in the world’s oceans in order to conserve and protect ecosystems and species.
“Captain Paul Watson is the world’s most aggressive, most determined, most active and most effective defender of wildlife.“ – Farley Mowat
Why bother supporting?
“The natural world has massive demands placed upon it every day,” said Brett Soberg, co-owner of Eagle Wing Tours. “At Eagle Wing we believe that being a responsible steward means being active, positive contributors to the ecosystem we love and are able to make our living from.”
Brett Soberg and his business partner, Don Stewart, started the growing whale watching company in 2005 with a deep respect for the marine environment. They believe that by educating the public about whales and the wonders of the Salish Sea, they are able to inspire people to consider more environmentally-responsible choices in their everyday lives. The company also goes to great lengths to minimize the environmental impact of every aspect of its operations. Eagle Wing Tours is Canada’s first and only carbon neutral whale watching company, offsetting all corporate greenhouse gas emissions. Their clean Volvo diesel engines meet the strictest international standards and provide the lowest emission rating of any whale watching company in Victoria. The unique scarab and catamaran designs of their four vessels incorporate the latest marine technology to reduce engine noise, minimizing underwater sound, wake and shoreline erosion.
“Environmental stewardship is at the heart of everything we do at Eagle Wing,” said Soberg. “Our customers can take pride in knowing that their tourism dollars are leaving a positive impact on the whales and the marine environment we all depend on.”
- “Eagle Wing Tours is a great addition to the 1% network. By signing on to 1%, it shows they’re really walking the walk in their sustainability efforts,” says Terry Kellogg, 1% CEO. “They’re using generosity as a tool with which to build their business and enabling valuable environmental work along the way. Eagle Wing Tours is an especially important addition to 1% for the Planet because they are uniquely positioned to engage their customers in the conservation movement by introducing them to the beauty of the Salish Sea.”
- “We welcome Eagle Wing to the group of Victoria businesses that have formally recognized their responsibility to and dependence on a healthy environment,” said Sandra Richardson, CEO of the Victoria Foundation. “Eagle Wing’s commitment to creating a high standard for their sector is inspiring. We look forward to working with them and our other 1% partners to show that taking environmental responsibility is good for business, as well as good for our community.”