Did you know that the ocean generates most of the oxygen we breathe? It also helps feed us, regulates our climate and cleans the water we drink.
On World Oceans Day people all around this blue planet celebrate and honour the ocean, which connects us all. A healthy ocean means a healthy future for every living thing on the planet, including us!
Help us celebrate at the 7th annual World Oceans Day festivities at Fisherman’s Wharf on Sunday, June 9!
What started as a small gathering with divers and a couple of local conservation groups has grown into a large yearly event with over 20 different participating organizations. The event was initiated by Eagle Wing Tours and more recently has been hosted in joint partnership with the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority.
Join us at this educational, family-friendly event which brings hundreds of people to Fisherman’s Wharf to learn about all things ocean-related. This year we’re excited to welcome the Build-A-Whale from Strawberry Isle Marine Research Society, a fun, interactive educational display where you can help assemble a killer whale skeleton to learn about anatomy, ecology and conservation!
What else can you do at World Oceans Day?
- Watch live divers and see what sort of treasures they find during their dock cleanup
- Check out the touch tanks to learn all about sea stars, anemones and other critters
- Get creative with the Bateman Foundation
- Explore the different features of our watershed with the CRD
- Check out safety drills with RCM-SAR to learn more about water safety
- Learn about sustainable seafood with Ocean Wise
- Eat like a barnacle with the Royal BC Museum
- Sign up for upcoming beach cleanups with Surfrider Vancouver Island
- Enjoy the 9 life-size flying orcas
- Chat with different local organizations working on the conservation and protection of our streams, rivers and oceans, and find out how you can get involved
- Get your face painted
- And much, much more!
We will be welcomed to the wharf by a First Nations blessing and traditional dancers. For a full list of organizations, check out our facebook event page.
We will be accepting donations toward our local Fisherman’s Wharf conservation initiative. World Oceans Day fundraising has previously gone toward the purchase of reef balls to provide artificial reefs in the harbour, including the restoration of Olympia oysters in their native range (in partnership with World Fisheries Trust). Current fundraising initiatives are being directed toward the purchase of a Seabin for Fisherman’s Wharf.
Not from Victoria? No problem! Find an event near you here.
See you on Sunday at Fisherman’s Wharf!