As we look back on our 2020 season, we’d like to say a big THANK YOU to all our guests for choosing Eagle Wing Tours and helping to support conservation, sustainability, research and education initiatives in and around the Salish Sea.
To say that 2020 was a challenging time for all of us seems a huge understatement. But Eagle Wing rose to the challenge. After a three-and-a-half-month shutdown, we resumed operations in July with strict COVID-19 safety precautions in place. We’re humbled and grateful for the generous spirit all of you showed us, especially those of you in the Victoria region.
Thanks to that support, we continue to fund the important work that is helping to protect this spectacular ecosystem and its wildlife. It’s why all of us at Eagle Wing do what we do!
Over the last 10 years, your contributions have helped us raise a grand total of $668,431, which goes directly to a broad range of conservation organizations and initiatives in the region.
How did you donate?
Here are the three main ways you donated:
- 1% for the Planet
As a member of 1% for the Planet since 2011 we donate 1% of our total revenue to a variety of hard-working organizations and projects dedicated to sustainability and environmental protection.
- Wildlife fee
In 2013, Eagle Wing implemented a $2 per guest wildlife fee. This was raised to $5 in 2019. All of those funds go directly to conservation, research and education initiatives in the Salish Sea.
- Carbon offsets
We’re Canada’s first and only third-party verified 100% carbon neutral whale watching company. All documentation is public and transparent—see our Annual Sustainability Reports (ASR). We purchase our carbon offsets from Wilderness International, with the money going toward habitat preservation in the Toba Valley north of Vancouver.
Who did you support?
Here’s a round-up of organizations and projects we—and you—continued to support in 2020.
- Alert Bay Cetological Society (Bay Cetology) whale research
- Bateman Foundation education and Naturehood program
- Center for Whale Research wild killer whale research
- Eagle Wing’s Floating Classroom Education Program
- Goldstream Volunteer Salmonid Enhancement Association salmon enhancement
- Lake Cowichan Salmonid Enhancement Society & Hatchery Society salmon enhancement
- The Land Conservancy habitat protection
- Marine Education and Research Society (MERS)
- Ocean Wise Marine Mammal Research
- Pacific Wild: Protect Pacific Herring campaign
- Pacific Salmon Foundation salmon enhancement projects
- Peninsula Streams Society habitat restoration projects
- Porpoise Conservation Society porpoise conservation and research
- Race Rocks Ecological Reserve research, education, infrastructure
- Saturna Island Marine Research and Education Society (SIMRES)
- SeaChange Marine Conservation Society habitat restoration programs
- Sea Shepherd Conservation Society Vancouver branch
- Shaw Centre for the Salish Sea education programs
- Sierra Club salmon habitat preservation
- South Vancouver Island Anglers’ Coalition chinook salmon enhancement project
- Synergy Foundation Sustainability monitoring
- Trial Island Conservancy Group habitat preservation
- Wild 4 Whales Foundation marine research and education initiatives
- Wilderness International habitat preservation in the Toba Valley
- World Fisheries Trust herring research
- 1% for the Planet membership.